Monday 7 December 2015

I explored the "born digital fiction" topic through Storify.

I wanted to include the required "modes" (images, blog posts, video, etc.) in my post, but -- this being my first time out with Storify -- I also tried to experiment a bit with its capabilities.

I searched through each of the Storify tabs that were accessible to me, and found that Google, Getty images, and YouTube yielded most of the results.

I searched primarily for any permeation and combination of "born," "digital," and "fiction." While searching for a combination of the three terms turned up very little, results from searches for two terms could be misleading. Admittedly, I relied on Wikipedia for much of the information pertaining to the origins and development of the born digital fiction medium.

On Twitter, I tried to get a sense of what might be trending re: born digital fiction, and came up with #borndigital, where i found references to "Inanimate Alice" and tweets about a variety of digital creations.

In choosing what I included in the piece, I tried to reflect a variety of modes (tweets, a video, blog posts, an image, a link to a paper, etc.) while reviewing each for relevant content and alignment with the topic. I also tried to select a few modes that were visually interesting (the image and video) to capture the reader's attention.

My post provides a glimpse into born digital fiction, and perhaps a starting point for someone brand new to the concept. While born digital fiction is still relatively young, an abundance of stories have been told over the last few decades, and a single Storify post doesn't adequately paint a "full picture" of the medium. That said, the topic could translate easily (and interestingly) into an academic essay on the origins, current status, and future state of born digital fiction.

No comments:

Post a Comment